Sunday, January 16, 2011

Back to School

I'm officially a student. Again. So in the true spirit of furthering my education, here is a fairly accurate depiction of what I've been doing the past two weeks.

But I really can't complain; I love every second of it.

Getting back into the whole school routine has been a little more difficult than I anticipated (and by that, I mean the homework and getting up early). But I'm trucking along. Luke starts school again next week, so we'll definitely be peppering the apartment with pencils (do people still use those?) and books.

For those of you who don't know, I started the Masters of Science in Journalism program at Northwestern University at the beginning of the month. It's a one-year program, so I'm on the fast track to becoming a bonafide journalist (or, so I'm hoping).

This quarter is pretty intense and is referred to by students as "journalism boot camp." Because, really, that's what it is. We've been going through the basics of journalism pretty quickly, and in a couple of weeks we'll start our full-fledged reporting. Each of us will be assigned to a beat within our neighborhood (i.e. education, crime, sports). Then we'll be expected to report stories each day in the form of print, audio and video journalism.

Currently, I'm working on a two-minute audio piece (like you might hear on NPR) and plan on featuring who else than my lovely husband as my first source. I'll let you mull over that and post the finished product sometime in the next couple weeks.

All that to say, I am loving this new season of life and am excited to see where it takes us.

And of course, if you have any good story ideas - send them my way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment